At this time of year, it is common to encounter what may appear to be sick, injured, or orphaned young animals in the park. Most often, these animals are fine and should be left alone!
Please click here to learn more.
Open / Closed in the Park:
Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters is CLOSED TO ALL USE for major road reconstruction.
Projected reopening: May 1 (weather and other factors permitting – please check back for updates).
Due to hazardous conditions, this closure will be strictly enforced. Violators are subject to summonses.
Check the Parkway Police Twitter feed for emergency updates on roads and other conditions in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
NOTE: THE PARK’S SPRING OPERATING SEASON BEGINS MAY 1
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for season.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive. All restrooms closed for season. Kearney House closed for season.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please contact J.M. Englewood Marina: 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Snack Shack open 10 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Fri., 10 AM – 6 PM weekends (closed Mondays).|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (year-round, click here for rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required). 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Open daylight hours.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Edgewater park entrance to Englewood Cliffs park entrance open daylight hours. Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters CLOSED TO ALL USE (projected reopening: May 1). Englewood to Alpine CLOSED TO MOTOR VEHICLES for construction (projected reopening: May 1).|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn (State Line Cafe & bookshop) open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Trail construction with intermittent closures on the Shore Trail between Ross Dock and Englewood.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive.|
Last updated April 21, 2017 (subject to change without notice).
State Line Lookout is about half a mile south of the actual New Jersey–New York state line. It has its own (unnumbered) exit in Alpine, New Jersey, about 2 miles north of Palisades Interstate Parkway Exit 2, accessible directly from the PIP northbound lanes and via a median U-turn from the PIP southbound lanes. It is also accessible to hikers on the Long Path and to pedestrians and cyclists via Old Route 9W.
GPS: 40.989108, -73.906678
Cars & Motorcycles Only (no bicycles):
- From northbound Palisades Interstate Parkway: The well-marked exit for State Line Lookout is about 2 mi. north of Exit 2.
- From southbound Palisades Interstate Parkway: Stay in the left lane after passing Exit 3. Take the median U-turn (well marked). Use caution, as you will need to get into the right lane immediately to exit for State Line Lookout.
- Cyclists can use the 1.5-mile old concrete roadway of Old Route 9W (closed to traffic) for access to State Line Lookout. The entrance to Old Route 9W is on U.S. Route 9W, at the state line by the entrance to Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.
By Public Transportation:
- For bus information, see main directions page.
- Buses stop on U.S. Route 9W, at the state line by the entrance to Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. Follow the concrete roadway of Old Route 9W (closed to traffic) to State Line Lookout. Total distance = about 1.5 mi. Old roadway is clear but follows an uphill grade going to the Lookout. Allow about 45 min. for each direction, up and back down.
Click to download these directions, including a map.