At this time of year, it is common to encounter what may appear to be sick, injured, or orphaned young animals in the park. Most often, these animals are fine and should be left alone!
Please click here to learn more.
Open / Closed in the Park:
Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters is CLOSED TO ALL USE for major road reconstruction.
Projected reopening: May 1 (weather and other factors permitting – please check back for updates).
Due to hazardous conditions, this closure will be strictly enforced. Violators are subject to summonses.
Check the Parkway Police Twitter feed for emergency updates on roads and other conditions in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
NOTE: THE PARK’S SPRING OPERATING SEASON BEGINS MAY 1
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for season.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive. All restrooms closed for season. Kearney House closed for season.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please contact J.M. Englewood Marina: 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Snack Shack open 10 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Fri., 10 AM – 6 PM weekends (closed Mondays).|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (year-round, click here for rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required). 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Open daylight hours.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Edgewater park entrance to Englewood Cliffs park entrance open daylight hours. Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters CLOSED TO ALL USE (projected reopening: May 1). Englewood to Alpine CLOSED TO MOTOR VEHICLES for construction (projected reopening: May 1).|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn (State Line Cafe & bookshop) open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Trail construction with intermittent closures on the Shore Trail between Ross Dock and Englewood.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive.|
Last updated April 21, 2017 (subject to change without notice).
Englewood Picnic Area is a scenic riverfront picnic area in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (directions) adjacent to Englewood Boat Basin. Grounds are open year-round, daylight hours. (Restrooms may be closed in winter.) From May through September a parking fee of $5 is charged (cash only).
GPS: 40.875925, -73.946678
For current hours of operation at Englewood Picnic Area, please check the sidebar >
Parking fees at picnic areas are collected from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend. Weekday collection is from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Weekend collection is from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Holiday weekend collection is from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM. Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about our picnic areas.
The picnic area features picnic tables, some grills (visitors are permitted to bring their own), a small children’s playground, restrooms, water, and waste receptacles, as well as access to fishing and crabbing, and access to our trail system.
“The Snack Shack” by the entrance to Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin offers a lunch, brunch, and snack menu during warm-weather months (closed November through April). Regular parking fee applies for Snack Shack patrons.
Visit the Snack Shack on Facebook!
“Bloomer’s Beach” at the north end of the picnic area can be used for car-top boat launching.
GPS: 40.881206, -73.944894
Englewood Boat Basin is adjacent to Englewood Picnic Area. (Access to the boat basin is limited to boat owners renting slips at the basin and their guests. Boat rentals are not available.)
Click to download a map keyed to a hike description that starts and ends at Englewood Picnic Area.
“Carpenter’s Loop” | Moderate | About 5.5 mi., 2.5 hrs. round-trip (with an opportunity to shorten by about half).
The Englewood Area in history...
The northern part of Englewood Picnic Area is still called “Bloomer’s Beach,” from the Bloomer family, who lived in the area during the 1800s.
The Dyckman Ferry used to land at the southern end of the Englewood Picnic Area & Boat Basin, until it was discontinued in 1942 due to competition from the George Washington Bridge (the Bridge opened in 1931). A bathing beach that operated at the Bloomer’s section was also closed around that time. The old stone bath house was built by the Civil Works Administration and the New Jersey Emergency Relief Administration in 1934.
The ferry landing, in turn, was originally the site of a steamboat landing built by the owners of the Palisades Mountain House, a resort hotel on the summit, in the 1870s. Dyckman Hill Road was also first built for the Mountain House, though it was improved by the park in the early 1900s.
- Learn more about the Palisades Mountain House in “Fire on the Mountain.”
- Learn about the New Deal agencies that built the bathhouse at Bloomer’s Beach and other park facilities “Alphabet Soup” and “From the Hard Winter.”
- Learn more about what happened to the swimming beaches here and in other places in the park in “The ‘Mystery’ of the Beaches.”
Virtual Tour of Englewood Picnic Area