At this time of year, it is common to encounter what may appear to be sick, injured, or orphaned young animals in the park. Most often, these animals are fine and should be left alone!
Please click here to learn more.
Open / Closed in the Park:
Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters is CLOSED TO ALL USE for major road reconstruction.
Projected reopening: May 1 (weather and other factors permitting – please check back for updates).
Due to hazardous conditions, this closure will be strictly enforced. Violators are subject to summonses.
Check the Parkway Police Twitter feed for emergency updates on roads and other conditions in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
NOTE: THE PARK’S SPRING OPERATING SEASON BEGINS MAY 1
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for season.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive. All restrooms closed for season. Kearney House closed for season.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please contact J.M. Englewood Marina: 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Snack Shack open 10 AM – 4 PM Tues. – Fri., 10 AM – 6 PM weekends (closed Mondays).|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (year-round, click here for rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required). 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Open daylight hours.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Edgewater park entrance to Englewood Cliffs park entrance open daylight hours. Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters CLOSED TO ALL USE (projected reopening: May 1). Englewood to Alpine CLOSED TO MOTOR VEHICLES for construction (projected reopening: May 1).|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn (State Line Cafe & bookshop) open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Trail construction with intermittent closures on the Shore Trail between Ross Dock and Englewood.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No motor vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive.|
Last updated April 21, 2017 (subject to change without notice).
Fort Lee Historic Park is a 33-acre cliff-top park area with scenic overlooks, a reconstructed Revolutionary War encampment, and a Visitor Center. The entrance to Fort Lee Historic Park is on Hudson Terrace immediately south of the George Washington Bridge (directions).
GPS: 40.852539, -73.963961
Fort Lee Historic Park office: 201-461-1776 | email@example.com
Metered parking is in effect at Fort Lee Historic Park
8 AM – 6 PM, 7 days a week, year-round (including holidays)
Mon. – Fri. $1/hr. for the first 3 hrs., then $2/hr.
Sat. & Sun. $5 for the first 3 hrs., then $2/hr.
All days: $20 each bus.
Parking is permitted in numbered spaces only. Use exact change or credit card. Machines do not make change, and no refunds are provided for overpayment. Senior and seasonal passes do not apply.
A unique “living history” school program is offered by reservation at Fort Lee Historic Park, and a wide range of special events is held throughout the year. Both the Long Path and the Shore Trail have their southern trailheads just outside the Visitor Center.
For current hours of operation at Fort Lee Historic Park, please check the sidebar >
Historic Park grounds are open daily during daylight hours. Pets are not permitted. Bicycles are not permitted beyond the parking area. At the north end of the Historic Park, two overlooks command spectacular views of the George Washington Bridge, the Hudson River, and the skyline of upper Manhattan. (Restrooms and a drinking fountain are available in season.) In the southern portion of the Historic Park, winding pathways lead past a reconstructed blockhouse to gun batteries and firing steps. Opposite the barbette battery, authentically recreated eighteenth-century soldiers’ and officers’ huts, with a well, woodshed, and baking oven, serve as the focal point for interpretive programs (check our calendar page for details).
The Visitor Center is open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 AM – 4:45 PM, with exhibits, gift shop, 150-seat auditorium, restrooms, beverage vending machine, and a water fountain. It is closed on holidays except Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
Click to download an advisory for park visitors (about ticks, poison ivy, and other concerns).
Click to download a map keyed to a hike description that starts and ends at Fort Lee Historic Park.
“Carpenter’s Loop” | Moderate | About 5.5 mi., 2.5 hrs. round-trip (with an opportunity to shorten by about half)
From the Fort Lee Historic Park brochure:
Fort Lee found its place in American history during the 1776 British campaign to control New York City and the Hudson River.
Having resisted the British siege of Boston, George Washington turned his attention to the defense of New York City and the Hudson River Valley. Besides constructing fortifications at New York and Long Island, Washington felt it imperative for the army to build and strengthen its defenses along the Hudson River.
The British plan, meanwhile, was to control the length of the Hudson with the overwhelming dominance of its Royal Navy. This plan, if successful, would split the Colonies in half — bringing an early end to the American rebellion.
In July 1776, the Americans began fortifying this site, which they first named “Fort Constitution.” (They later changed the name to “Fort Lee,” to honor General Charles Lee, whose army had achieved a major victory at Charleston, South Carolina, that summer.) On the high ground of northern Manhattan opposite Fort Lee, work had already begun on Fort Washington. On July 12, Admiral Richard Howe sent two British ships, the Rose and the Phoenix, up the Hudson. Cannon fire from Fort Washington alone had little effect on their passage; Washington ordered work on Fort Lee to advance as quickly as possible.
At General Israel Putnam’s suggestion, obstructions were sunk in the river channel between the forts. With these in place, and artillery fire from the twin forts, the Americans believed that no British ships would be able to sail past without sustaining severe losses.
As the summer of 1776 went on, the largest force of British ships ever to have left English shores was amassing in New York Harbor, and by mid-August, Sir William Howe, British Commander-in-Chief (and brother to Admiral Howe), had assembled an army of over 31,000 British and Hessian troops on Staten Island.
On August 22, the British attacked Long Island and five days later forced the Americans to retreat to New York City (at the time, the city comprised only the southern tip of Manhattan Island). In September, the British took New York City and the rest of Manhattan — except for Fort Washington.
On November 16, Fort Washington fell to an overwhelming assault by Crown forces, which captured more than 3,000 American troops.
Washington realized that with the loss of Fort Washington, Fort Lee was of little military value. He ordered General Nathanael Greene, the commander at Fort Lee, to begin preparations to evacuate the fort. An orderly withdrawal, however, was not in store for the Americans…
On November 20, just four days after taking Fort Washington, General Howe ordered General Charles Cornwallis to convey 5,000 men across the Hudson several miles north of Fort Lee. When word of the advancing army reached Washington, he ordered an immediate retreat, before the Fort Lee troops could be cut off and captured by the British force. Most of the American supplies and artillery had to be left behind. These were indeed among the darkest days for the cause of American independence, leading Thomas Paine to pen his famous words,
“These are the times that try men’s souls…”
- Learn about the fight to preserve Fort Lee Historic Park in “Fighting for the Fort.”
- Learn about our unique school program in “The Meaning of a Hut” and “The Making of a Hut.”
- Learn about a forgotten battle that occurred at Fort Lee in “American v. American: the 1781 Battle of Fort Lee” by Todd Braisted.