We are now accepting applications for our seasonal staff for 2017. Click here for details!
Open / Closed in the Park:
Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters is CLOSED TO ALL USE from Monday, February 27, for approx. 6–8 weeks for major road reconstruction.
Due to hazardous conditions, this closure will be strictly enforced. Violators are subject to summonses.
See the Parkway Police Twitter feed for updates.
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for season.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for season.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. No vehicle access until reopening of Henry Hudson Drive. Pavilion restrooms closed for season (parking plaza restrooms remain open). Kearney House closed for season.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please contact J.M. Englewood Marina: 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Snack Shack closed for season.|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (year-round, click here for rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required). 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Closed for season.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Due to recent winter storm, all riverfront park areas remain CLOSED TO VEHICLES through the weekend of Mar. 18–19. Alpine Approach Road south of Park Headquarters CLOSED TO ALL USE from Monday, February 27, for approx. 6–8 weeks. Englewood to Alpine closed to motor vehicles for season.|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for season (Port-A-Johns available).|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn (State Line Cafe & bookshop) open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Trail construction with intermittent closures on the Shore Trail between Ross Dock and Englewood.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
Sidebar last updated:
March 22, 2017.
The information posted here is subject to change without notice.
Ross Dock Picnic Area is a large scenic riverfront picnic area just north of the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, New Jersey (directions). Grounds are open year-round during daylight hours. (Restrooms may be closed in winter.) On weekdays from May through September a parking fee of $5 is charged (cash only); on weekends and holidays, the parking fee is $10 (cash only).
GPS: 40.860425, -73.955772
For current hours of operation at Ross Dock Picnic Area, please check the sidebar >
Parking fees at picnic areas are collected from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend. Weekday collection is from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Weekend collection is from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Holiday weekend collection is from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM. Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about our picnic areas.
Ross Dock Picnic Area features picnic tables, some grills (visitors are permitted to bring their own), a large children’s playground, restrooms, water, and waste receptacles, as well as access to fishing and crabbing, access to our trail system and Henry Hudson Drive, and access to a boat launching ramp for both trailered boats under 24 feet and car-top boats (canoe and kayak) at Hazard’s Dock.
- Click to download a hike description, keyed to a map and including tips for hikers, that begins and ends at Ross Dock Picnic Area (moderate, about 4.5 mi., 2 hrs. round-trip).
A refreshment stand, with drinks, snacks, ice cream, and picnic and barbecue supplies, is open on weekends in the summer.
Carpenter’s Grove, just south of the main Ross Dock picnic area, is a picnic grove that is set aside for the use of groups by permit.
GPS: 40.856306, -73.958514
- Click to download a brochure about group picnic areas in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
The Ross Dock area in history…
Ross Dock Picnic Area is just north of the site of the Carpenter Brothers’ Quarry, the largest and most notorious of the Palisades quarries of the late 1800s. Much of the present-day picnic area was built on sunken barges and other landfill from the quarry days.
During the early 1900s, Ross Dock was a summer camp for families from New York City.
- Learn more about the summer campground at Ross Dock in “The ‘Mystery’ of the Beaches” and “Camp Colony.”
- Learn more about the history of Hazard’s Ramp in “Hazard’s” and about Carpenter’s Grove and Trail in “Return to Carpenter’s.”
- Learn about how we were able to build the playground at Ross Dock in “Planting for the Future.”
Virtual Tour of Ross Dock Picnic Area