Open / Closed in the Park:
See the Parkway Police Twitter feed for updates.
|Allison Park: Open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for season.|
|Alpine Boat Basin: Closed for season.|
|Alpine Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Pavilion restrooms closed for season (parking plaza restrooms remain open). Kearney House closed for season.|
|Englewood Boat Basin: Please contact J.M. Englewood Marina: 201-568-1328.|
|Englewood Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Snack Shack closed for season.|
|Fort Lee Historic Park: Grounds open daylight hours. Metered parking (year-round, click here for rates). Visitor Center open Weds. to Sun., 10 AM – 4:45 PM. 201-461-1776.|
|Greenbrook Sanctuary: Open daylight hours (membership required). 201-784-0484.|
|Hazard’s Ramp: Closed for season.|
|Henry Hudson Drive: Conditions permitting, Fort Lee to Englewood open daylight hours. Englewood to Alpine closed to motor vehicles for season.|
|Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey: Open 24 hrs.|
|Park Headquarters: Administrative offices open Mon. to Fri., 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM except New Jersey State holidays. 201-768-1360. Parkway Police desk staffed at all times: 201-768-6001. Click here for Court information.
|Ross Dock Picnic Area: Open daylight hours. Restrooms closed for season (Port-A-Johns available).|
|State Line Lookout: Grounds open daylight hours. Lookout Inn (State Line Cafe & bookshop) open 9:30 AM – 5 PM. 201-750-0465.|
|Trails: Open daylight hours. Trail construction with intermittent closures this winter on the Shore Trail between Ross Dock and Englewood.|
|Undercliff Picnic Area: Open daylight hours.|
Sidebar last updated:
February 10, 2017.
The information posted here is subject to change without notice.
Undercliff Picnic Area is a rustic picnic area along scenic Henry Hudson Drive in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (directions). Grounds are open year-round during daylight hours. No water is available at Undercliff Picnic Area, but Port-A-Johns are provided in the warm weather season. No parking fee is charged. Vehicle access is unavailable during winter months when that section of Henry Hudson Drive is closed.
GPS: 40.887511, -73.942297
For current hours of operation for Undercliff Picnic Area, please check the sidebar >
Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about our picnic areas.
Undercliff Picnic Area features picnic tables, some grills (visitors are permitted to bring their own), waste receptacles, and access to our trail system.
The Undercliff Area in history…
There was a thriving riverfront settlement at this location from around the time of the Revolution into the early twentieth century. Sometimes called Fishermen’s Village, the Bloomer, Van Wagner, Crum, and Allison families were among the inhabitants. (A small nineteenth-century graveyard stands at the southern end of the picnic area.)
The ruins along the river are from a large bathhouse built by the park in 1922 to accommodate the thousands of people who came to use the bathing beach there on a typical summer day. The stone picnic tables in the picnic area were built by “CCC boys” during the Great Depression.
- Get a glimpse of life here in the early days of the park in “And Wrestled with the Glaciers.”
- Learn about the New Deal agencies that built the picnic tables and other park facilities in “Alphabet Soup.”
- Learn more about what happened to the swimming beaches here and in other places in the park in “The ‘Mystery’ of the Beaches,” and share some recollections from Bob Hartwick, a lifeguard who worked at the beach here in the 1930s and 40s, in “Summer Job.”
Virtual Tour of Undercliff Picnic Area